At this school we recognise that reading is the keystone of learning and therefore it is vital that every child becomes a reader.
By becoming a proficient reader, children will:
- Have access to the whole curriculum
- Participate in own learning
- Develop confidence
- Improve self efficacy
- Make a contribution now, and in the future
- Develop imagination
- Increase experiences through books
- Be able to access the next stage of their education
This will be done through:
- Personalised reading programmes
- Teaching all reading strategies
- Specific time allocations
- Specific adult to child allocation
- 1:1 reading tuition
- Target setting
- Matching text to child need
- Child self assessment
- Frequent assessment
As soon as children in Key Stage 1 reach Y2 age related expectations they will be taught in guided reading groups.
Thameside Reading Guidelines for teachers can be downloaded below.
Mrs Greenaway (Reading Leader)